How To Write a Five Paragraph Essay
1. Before you begin writing, decide on your answer to the question asked of you. This is your basic thesis. You always need a prewriting (outline, Venn diagram, Brainstorming).
2. Before you begin writing, decide on what 3 pieces of evidence/support you will use to prove your thesis.
3. Write your introductory paragraph.
Attention Getter (quote, question, statistic, something interesting)
Thesis Statement (can include 3 pieces of evidence)
Introductory words and phrases about topic (DON’T WRITE: I AM GOING TO TELL YOU ABOUT… OR MY ESSAY WILL SHOW…)
4. Write the first paragraph of your body-focus on your first piece of evidence.
5. End your first body paragraph with a transitional sentence that leads to body paragraph number two.
6. Write paragraph two of the body focusing on your second piece of evidence.
7. End your second paragraph with a transitional sentence that leads to paragraph number three.
8. Write paragraph three of the body focusing on your third piece of evidence.
9. Begin your concluding paragraph.
No Slang and Never use I or you (Unless specifically told that it is allowed).
Do not use contractions in formal writing